Thursday, June 28, 2012

Part 3

Her hand was frozen midway between the bag of chips and her open mouth.  She blinked, once, twice, and then was broken from her stunned silence by a low rumbling overhead.  "What is that?"

"We're below the main subway lines."

This seemed to calm her.  The chip continued its way to her mouth.

The crunching made my stomach growl but I continued with my explanation.  "Cyrus is one of the remaining Underground Princes.  There were a dozen originally, but I only know of seven of us now."

Mouth full of half chewed chip.  "Us?  You're one of them?"  She backed away, taking the bag of chips with her.

"Yes I am," I shrugged as I took a seat on the ground next to my cart.

She stopped her retreat and eyed me cautiously.  "So I'm some kind of trophy to you guys now?"  She asked.

I had been afraid it would come to this.  I sighed, "No, most of us are content with the way things are."

"What do you mean, 'the way things are'?"

"I don't know," I admitted.  "We're not really sure what would happen if one of us were to take a bride.  We've heard the stories..."

"But what do the stories say?"  She interrupted me, but her question went unanswered.

A bright flash of light left us both seeing spots, and once our vision had finally cleared, we were no longer alone.

1 comment:

  1. I had to go back and read the other parts first. I like the style you are using a lot. The first person POV is really interesting in the story. The only critisim I might have is that I can't really get an image of the characters. Only Dairy Mary had any real discription and they were spread out. All I know is she is skinny with a big chest, red hair and in her twenties. But is she dirty? homeless? I know its hard sometimes to put in stuff when it messes with the flow and rhythm of a story.

    ReplyDelete